Friday, December 26, 2008

A Lazy Day After Christmas

First of all, a disclaimer... the picture below is not an accurate representation of the current state-of-affairs between Miss Kylie Grace and her Mama. This picture was taken a few days ago and is a reminder of the almost schizophrenic mood swings that these poor kids go through when their worlds are turned upside down. Three days ago Kylie was giving out big kisses like this one -- today, she literally pushed her food away (which up to this point has been unheard of) because Mama had the audacity to touch her fork. The rejection has even spilled over into bath time -- which had been the last bastion of intimacy between them. It is so hard to figure out what could possibly be going on in her little head that would cause her to treat Cheryl this way. And it is even harder to see the heartbroken look in Cheryl's eyes. I don't have words to describe the hurt my heart feels for her. But, she is trying to remain positive, look ahead, and expect miracles as Kylie learns that Mama's arms are, by far, the best place to be for safety and comfort. So, keep praying for all of us as we take one day at a time...







The beginning of our day was spent at the buddhist temple of the six banyan trees. It is an active place of worship and also a tourist attraction. It felt intrusive to be there taking pictures while people were lighting incense and bowing to the various buddha statues that dotted this temple. But.... I did it anyway. Our guide explained that this temple had been there for 1400 years. One thing I found interesting -- she told me that the temple is maintained in part, at least, with government funds. The department of religious affairs allocates money for the upkeep of this and other temples throughout the country. That fact seemed very strange to me. The grounds were very beautiful and the smell of incense filled the air -- we couldn't and didn't want to stay long.






Afterwards, we went shopping at one of the nicer "souvenir" shops. Our guide told us that this would be a much different experience that going to the markets. She was right. We were able to browse the aisles without getting hounded by aggressive salespeople and we had the place virtually to ourselves. It was a nice -- well, as nice as going shopping can be -- experience and Kylie enjoyed sitting by the indoor koi pond, pointing at the fish. Sorry, we took no pictures -- we were losers!
After a very American lunch (hamburgers & pizza), we relaxed in our rooms most of the afternoon. All in all, it was a good day for Kylie, a hard day for Cheryl, and a confusing day for the rest of us. We know this is normal and most families go through it in some manner. So we look forward to tomorrow because we know, with God's grace, that there will be baby steps in the right direction. And while we are waiting, we will celebrate His goodness, His mercy and His love for us.

5 comments:

Patricia Harden said...

Cheryl, hang in there...both of my girls did the same thing. They didn't want anything to do with me while we were in China. It wasn't until we were back in Orlando and David was back at work that they started to warm up to me again. I know the hurt you are feeling. It doesn't seem fair to wait so long...and then this. However, thankfully you know this will all be a distant memory soon. We will continue the prayers for Kylie's transition into you wonderful family.

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MILLERS!!

We're keeping you all in our prayers and hoping that your efforts today will bring little Miss Kylie new brightness and laughter, trust and love. You certainly are giving her an incredible gift with your patience and care. We wish each of you a wonderful new year and blessings beyond your expectations!
Love you!
Linda & Roger

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to meet her in person......we are continuing to pray for you all.
Jeff and Debbie Knipe

jennifer said...

Hi Cheryl-I just read your post on AWAA. I am so sorry and I do understand how you feel as I went through it in China in November. I too thought I had prepared myself for it, but I don't think you can prepare yourself for how it really feels, and add all the other emotions, the adjustment and everything else and ugh! I will most certainly be praying for you, as sometimes I felt the prayers were all that carried me. I also suggest you be right nearby as much as you can. I had more setbacks when I was out of sight (I guess even though he acted like he didn't care, James cared more than I knew). It was so difficult to put on a happy face and yes maybe they can sense our anxiety or saddness, which may make it worse, but I found it hard to hide my emotions...When we were home things really improved. Keep depending on God.

Brandi said...

Oh how this brings me back to Liberia! Davis didn't like me at all that whole week. I remember holding him while he screamed and I sobbed. . .just wailing between breathes, "no child should have to learn to love their mother". Ok, I'm tearing up just remembering it! We will MOST certainly be praying for your heart at this time. It is such an opportunity (well, it was for me) to see how I am to God so often and to be truly humbled by how He loves me unconditionally through it and to get to act that out to my child who I longed for.

I have been following your blog for the last few days, but couldn't get the comments to come up while at Shannons! I just coming back to stare at your sweet pictures!!

Have a blast soaking up the culture of her homeland and come back soon!

Brandi
PS: Davis LOVES me now! Once we got home, he was a new child.